Introduction - Hungarian Academy of Fine Arts
The Hungarian Academy of Fine Arts was founded in 1871. The central building, erected in 1876, is located on the most elegant avenue of Pest which connects the Danube with the City Park. The building was restored to its original beauty in 1997/8. The restoration includes the facade with sgrafitto portraits of Bramante, Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, and also the Rector\'s corridor and numerous internal decorations.
The Academy\'s other main site is Epreskert (Mulberry Garden), which inherited its name from the mulberry trees that covered the area. Only a few minutes from the main building, Epreskert consists of five buildings each containing studios. It was founded as a master painter school in 1882 and has been an integral part of the Academy since 1921. The othes sites of the Academy are the Feszty House and the Intermedia Department can be found close to the Epreskert.
The five year course in either of the following fields leads to the award of the MA (Master of Arts) university degree: painting, sculpture, graphics, graphic design, intermedia (combined media), stage and costume design, and restoration.
Having completed the first four semesters students can enrol for the visual education programme where they will obtain an additional secondary school teacher degree. Postgraduate courses are also available. Students may attend either the continuing specialisation programme or the doctoral programme.
The three-year doctoral programme leads to the DLA degree (Practical PhD) in the fields of painting, sculpture, graphics, graphic design, intermedia, and restoration.
< Back to college profile