Introduction - Ilya Repin St. Petersburg State Academic Institute of Fine Arts, Sculpture and Architecture
The Arts Academy was founded in 1757 and is the largest arts educational institution and one of the most important scientific centers in Russia. For almost two and a half centuries the Academy has been promoting the traditional and classical fine art of Russia and plays a key part in the preservation of its native style. Presently there are more than seven hundred students during the day and over five hundred attending evening courses at the Academy. About 100 professors, associate professors, and 60 teachers teach at the Academy. The Academy has 5 faculties: Fine Art, Graphic Arts, Sculpture, Architecture, and Art Theory and History.
The Library of The Russian Fine Arts Academy is the oldest art library in Russia. During the first decades of the Library's existance many important books on painting, sculpture and architecture and on adjacent and subsidiary brunches of art such as anatomy, perspective and so on were acquired by the Library. Today the library houses editions from the XVIth, XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries, some of them are with the monogram and the coat of arms of the founder of The Arts Academy Ivan Shuvalov. Many old books are the remarkable examples of Russian and Westnern European polygraphic art.
There are two exhibition halls, one called "Raphael", the other "Titian". The reason behind this is the fact that each individual hall displays frescos of these two fantastic artists. Temporary exhibitions are mostly held there - for example the "Exhibition of Diploma works" and the "Exhibition of the Academy professors".
< Back to college profile